Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Deep Thoughts Wednesday December 22, 2010

1. The title of today's blog is completely sarcastic.  There really is no point, just some random thoughts and observations.

2.  I really need to hire a cleaner.  This flat is way too large, there is cream/white carpeting throughout and I'm losing the battle with clutter, 2.5 year old and the puker (aka Riley the cat).  Also as my friend Jaime so wisely pointed out - if I live in a residence with a certified "Maid's Room", I should not be expected to clean my own house. Right?  Right?

3.  We live in a neighborhood of Tokyo called Hiroo (pronounced Hero-ooh) that is home to the University of the Sacred Heart, an all girls Christian University.  Everyday, I push G's stroller past throngs of college age girls dressed very similarly; short shorts (jean or otherwise), tights (fishnets or sparkly silver preferred), high heeled boots (over the knee is a fave), topped with a short  jacket or cape and if at all possible a furry hat that resembles an animal (a cat seems to be the most popular).  Full makeup including false eyelashes and gel nails - never dark, always pastel, sparkly and/or with rhinestones on the tips.  Anyone that knows me, understands that I am DYING inside, biting my lip, wanting to speed dial What Not to Wear and I have absolutely nobody to discuss this amazing fashion with!   In my head, the Pretty Woman (as in Julia Roberts) theme song plays.  I'm not judging, I'm just sayin'....
Get back to me in 6 mos...perhaps I will be sporting the nails pictured below.


4.  1700 yen is far too much to pay for maple syrup.  This is $20. By they way, this is not the gallon size, but rather a regular glass bottle, smaller than Aunt Jemima equivalent in the US.  I thought London was crazy expensive, but Tokyo beats it.  I've been told that I will eventually become accustomed to spending 800 yen ($10) for 2 perfect, delicious apples but I'm not so sure about that.

5.  There is no tipping in Tokyo - not in restaurants, bars, taxis or for services rendered.  I prefer to think that the "tip" is built into the astronomical prices being charged.

6.  I have 12 channels that I can watch on my television read: are in English.  These include but are not limited to 3 sports channels, 1 disney channel, MTV, a movie channel and two channels that alternate between Boston Legal, The Ghost Whisperer, and any/all CSI, American Idol and So you Think You Can Dance.  All of the shows are at least 1 if not 2 seasons old.  I'm not bothered as I'm not a big TV watcher but have noticed that Roy is doing alot of research on Slingbox.

7.  People here wear facial masks not necessarily to prevent getting ill but to prevent spreading the illness or germs that they may have.  I answer this question at least twice daily when G asks, "MOMMY, WHY MAN WEARING MASK?" while pointing and staring at the person sitting right next to us on the train.  I remember when I use to get flustered and embarrassed...G has cured me of this.

8.  Japanese women wear high heels.  And skirts.  With pantyhose.  Possibly leggings with a tunic top.  No jeans.  My loose fitting boyfriend jeans, motorcycle boots and Gap sweater is really not cutting it here.  I am a Glamour Don't in Japan.

9.  On the trains, people either sleep or check their phones or play hand held games.  There is no eye contact, definitely no talking, thus making G's observations (see number 7 above) all the more obvious.

10.  It does not matter how intelligent you are or how advanced your degree, unless you can read Japanese, you will be unable to determine whether the milk carton that you are buying is pasteurized, non pasteurized, low fat, full fat or goats milk.

Happy Holidays!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, thank God, those aren't your hands! I know settling into a new place can make anyone stir-crazy for a bit, but this would have proven you went over the edge. And let me know if you ever need anything US or UK :) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete