Tuesday, November 30, 2010

November 25, 2010 Sayanara London

After almost 4 years in London, the boxes are packed, our suitcases are loaded, the cat is in a temporary kennel (awaiting his flight on Dec. 1) and the husband, G and I are off to Heathrow for our 1 pm flight to Tokyo where we will begin our next expat adventure.  Everyone seems to be taking the move in stride, but I am verging on tears for most of the car ride to the airport.  I think it's a combination of factors - lack of sleep and stress being two of the biggies right now.

To be honest, London and I have had our fair share of ups and downs.  When I arrived jet lagged and sick in January of 2007, it was literally raining horizontally and I think it stayed that way for most of 2007.  I had just left my job as an Insurance Broker in NYC to join the husband across the pond and experience life as a trailing spouse, expat wife, haus frau, desperate housewife...you get the picture.  I was in no way prepared for what any of those terms really mean and this blog is not the place to explore it - that's what therapy is for.  ;-)

 Fast forward to present day and it's an altogether different picture.  I truly love London and all that it has afforded me the past few years including but not limited to amazing history and wonderful travel opportunities.  After being unsure if "mom" was a title that I wanted/needed,  I have a 2.5 year old son, G, who is the light of my life and the best thing that has ever happened to me (cliche but true).  I also have met and established lifelong friendships (I hope)  with some of the funniest, most intelligent, caring and adaptable women that I've ever known.  I will truly miss our coffees, lunches, girls nights out, Hampstead Women's Club, Bunco, shopping excursions and I could go on and on....

We're flying Virgin first class to Tokyo and I can only assume that that corporate HR person who booked our seats does not have a 2.5 year old.  We've yet to take off and G has discovered the seat recline/transition to a bed button as well as the reading light and the call button for the flight attendant...it's going to be a very long 12 hours.

My mantra is and will continue to be Keep Calm and Carry On.  See you in Tokyo!

No comments:

Post a Comment